This flashcard set is excellent for beginners, containing everything needed to learn both Kana syllabaries. Even if you’re not a beginner, you can easily use these for review purposes.
What you get:
200 flashcards with a metal ring to hold them all. It covers more than just the basic Kana, which is rare to find in study material.
The cards include:
1. The featured Kana
2. The stroke order
3. Whether the kana on the card is Hiragana or Katakana.
4. Select cards include notification of Kana that are similar in appearance and often mistaken for the featured Kana.
5. Each card includes up to six vocabulary words to show usage of the featured Kana.
1. The featured Kana
2. The romaji for the featured Kana for pronunciation purposes.
3. All vocabulary is listed again, this time with romaji and their definitions.
4. The visual representation – called mnemonics – to aid with memorization.
You also get a booklet, which includes:
1. The numbering of the 200 cards are listed in the book for quick reference.
2. A Katakana and Hiragana chart, which includes all the featured Kana from the cards – also for quick reference.
3. An overview of the cards and an Introduction to the Japanese Language with excellent study tips.
4. An English to Japanese dictionary/index, which includes all the vocabulary from each card with the card number for quick reference.
1. Two 24″ x 18″ wall charts, one featuring Hiragana and the other Katakana.
2. An audio CD featuring a native speaker reading out all the Kana and vocabulary from each card.
Natural speaking pace is not included here, but I don’t think that’s actually a bad thing. For beginners it’s best to hear Kana, words and phrases at a slower speed. This provides a more solid base to build upon in my opinion.
Personally, I love this set. I really like the fact that it includes more than the basic Kana, such as ga – が ガ and va – ヴァ. It’s simple, concise, thorough, and easy-to-use. I’d definitely recommend it to anyone interested in the basics of Japanese, either as a beginner or as a refresher course.